About Healthy Abingdon
Working together to
improve health and wellbeing in Abingdon-on-Thames
Health and Wellbeing
There are very many ways that people's health
and wellbeing is improved whether it involves exercising the body or the
mind. Clearly, the health professionals such as GPs, hospitals and
services like district nurses and health visitors have a vital role to
play. But then also over 200 community groups in the town that can
help in many different ways. These include groups that
- encourage exercise including walking,
running, sports, dancing and countryside pursuits,
- engage in the arts including painting,
drama, art appreciation, reading and singing,
- help people who are lonely,
- drive people to hospital appointments,
- help carers.
Community and voluntary groups that want
to work with us in improving people's health and wellbeing are invited
to become a Healthy Abingdon Associate. Find
out more here.
People who are helped
- healthy people who want to stay healthy,
- those with mental or physical problems,
- people recovering from illness and
- those that are lonely or just want to make
How we started
You can find the story of how we started here.
Who we are
Health Abingdon is a registered charity No.
The charity trustees are
- Ros Alstead, OBE, formerly Director of
Nursing and Clinical Standards at Oxford Health NHS Foundation Trust
- Dave Butterworth (Chair), FREng,
formerly trustee of Healthwatch Oxfordshire and of a mental health
- Monica Lovatt, a former nurse with
a continued interest in health and wellbeing. Also
a past Mayor of Abingdon and Chair of the Vale of White Horse
Our trustee board is supported by the following
- Catherine McNeil, South Abingdon
resident with special interest in nutrition.
- Olga Kozlowska, PhD, Vice-Chancellor
Research Fellow at Oxford Brookes University.
We are looking for more trustees.
If you want to help and have relevant interests and experience, email
Dave. Find out more here.
We are grateful for the funding we receive from
the Doris Field Charitable Trust,from the Oxford Health
Charity and from Christ's Hospital Abingdon.
In the interest of openness, you can find our
key policies and procedures here along with
Oxfordshire, OX14 2EQ